I have been wanted to write this post for a while, but thought it was a little cringey. I then I realised the huge impact that reading has had on my life, so thought I would share anyway;
- Knowledge and learning: I have learnt so much knowledge since I began reading lots. I now have a much better insight into mental health/illness, so much so I am now doing a degree in Psychology. I know lots of random facts, which I have remembered from books I’ve read. People often wonder how I know so much content, and its honestly just from reading.
- Acceptance and understanding: I have read books from all different perspectives, and have insight into other cultures, religions ect that I may not have if I didn’t read about them in books. I feel I am a much more accepting person now, and am definitely not as judgemental as my teenage self.
- Distractions: Reading has gotten me through some pretty difficult times. When my head is screaming at me to end my life, I have absorbed myself into a story, temporarily giving me a break from my struggles. I rely heavily on distractions when I have intrusive thoughts, and I’ve learnt that reading is a great one! Therefore reading has benefited my own mental health!
- Literature skills: This sounds a little cliché, but having read 500 books in the past 5 years I have gained some knowledge on how writing works. This has helped me the writing involved with my degree.
- Passion: I often feel I lack hobbies, and feel worthless. Reading is the only hobby I have consistently and always will adore! It’s given me an identity, everyone who knows me knows how much I love to read!