I’m not one for New years resolutions, so these are more goals that I want to keep indefinitely, not just for the year. It is also a little odd for me to be writing this as I’ve been in a really good place for a few months now. I’ve struggled with my mental health for about 7 years now, it’s differed in severity over that time. I’ve been relatively well for a couple years now, with only a few blips in the way. I have not self harmed in 5 years. I am not currently on medication or receiving psychological intervention. A brief introduction on my situation out of the way…
- My first goal is to stick to my consistent sleeping schedule. I’ve been doing this a while, and it really affects me! I didn’t realize it could play a huge part in my mental health. I’m not too strict on it, I give myself a little lay in when I need to, and rarely stay away past midnight but I averagely get a solid 8 hours a night! I feel this consistency really has given me the mental energy I need, especially when I’m struggling a little. I don’t sleep too long or too little!
- Saying ‘no’: This use to be a big problem for me, and is something I’m still not the best at. I’m getting good at doing it over text/email but is still hard for me in person. A few too many times I have said yes in my job, when I know I wanted / needed to say no. Therefore, this year I aim to say ‘no’ more when it could negatively affect my mental health.
- Self help? I’ve had multiple types of therapy since my journey began all those years ago, but I wasn’t in the mindset to want to get better, which is why I suppose they didn’t help much. I want to be, and stay better now. So I’m aiming to delve into the world of self help. Mainly in the form of books! I’ve always been skeptical but there is no harm trying something that could potentially help!
- Find a hobby: I lack a hobbie that I can leap myself full force into, and escape from the world for a while. I love reading and blogging, but they are very self focused and lack the aspects that I’m wanting to get into. I am going to try a few different classes this year, sport wise, art wise, anything I can find local! Knitting also seems appealing, but I’m not the best at sticking to things I’m not good at… I’m going to try a few and see where I end up in a few months!
- Don’t let a negative emotion ruin my whole day: I’m not the most positive of people so when something bad happens, or I’m not feeling the best, I’d often naturally see my whole day as negative which is something I want to change. I understand I’m going to have harder days, and negative events are going to happen, but I’m hoping I can turn it around and not let the whole day be affected.
These are just a few things I hope to improve upon this year! I also did a bookolution (book related goals) post previously if you’d like to check that out!